Due to replace Apprenticeships in 2017, Trail Blazers are an exciting opportunity for employers to upskill their existing staff or grow their workforce – with no limitation on the candidate’s age, meaning more training for more people.
With several different funding models, there will be an opportunity for any company in the UK to take advantage of this fantastic new training scheme.
Employers have been given the opportunity to shape the future of the vocational pathway, to ensure qualifications are 100% relevant to their skills needs.
As an approved Trail Blazer Training Provider, ARC Academy are at the forefront of the newly emerging supply chain and know how to maximise the returns for both candidates and employers.
The new Trail Blazers aim to:
• Give employers control in designing the qualification pathway
• Increase the flexibility of delivery
• Simplify the funding system
• Increase the effectiveness of training
• Be linked to a specific occupational level
• Respond to employers’ needs, ensuring that qualifications are high quality, rigorous and develop the knowledge, skills and behaviour required for a specific job role
Funding reforms are still under consultation. We know that the Government’s long-term plan involves different funding methodology depending on the size of the employer:
• Employers with a paybill in excess of £3million will pay an apprenticeship levy from April 2017 (levy-paying employers)
• Micro-businesses and SMEs (non-levy-paying employers) will continue to be funded through provider allocations for the next few years. For Trailblazer standards, this will be done using the interim funding model.
Currently, the Government is offering additional incentives to employers for Trailblazer standards. These incentives can be claimed:
• When an apprentice is aged 16 – 18 when they start
• When the employer is an SME
• When an apprentice completes their training, employers will receive a bonus payment
• In some situations, these additional incentives will mean that 100% of training costs to the employer are covered.
• Also, a £1,000 payment (to the employer) for each candidate enrolled into the Trailblazer program.